This ambrosia salad recipe, or 5 cup salad recipe as it is often called, is another of those dual purpose recipes.
It is called a salad but you can easily see from the list of ingredients that it makes a delicious light dessert recipe too.
I love it as a light dessert. It may be an old-fashioned recipe, but great taste never really goes out of style.
Using sour cream may sound odd, and not dessert-like at all, but all of the other ingredients are sweet, so it’s a nice contrast. The melding of all of those flavors works perfectly.
This delicious salad or dessert, whatever you prefer to call it, can be part of a delicious dinner menu, placed on a buffet or pot luck dinner table, or served as a wonderful light sweet treat for dessert.
Any way you choose to use it, your friends and family will love it.
It is so easy to make and disappears like magic. Kids of all ages love it and it’s not bad for you.
Delectable Ambrosia Salad
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits, well drained
- 1 cup canned mandarin oranges, well drained
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- Combine all ingredients and mix. Chill.
Now how easy is that?
Tips and Variations:
- This recipe can easily be double or tripled to feed a large group.
- Add a 1/2 cup of maraschino cherries, sliced in half for a bit of color. Dry them first though or the whole thing goes quite pink. Trust me. I ended up with a bowl of pink mess once because I didn’t know to dry the cherries. And I was taking it to a party!
- Add 1/2 cup green grapes, cut in half lengthwise, as shown in the image.
- Use light sour cream to make it a low fat dessert.