This applesauce cake is a sweet loaf recipe.
Some might call it an apple bread, because technically it is a quick bread, but whatever you call it, it is absolutely delicious.
The applesauce in the recipe adds sweetness while cutting down on the amount of sugar in the recipe and keeps the cake nice and moist.
These kinds of easy cake recipes are wonderful to bake, then freeze for later use.
I sometimes slice the loaf ahead of time, then wrap the individual slices with a couple of layers of plastic wrap and freeze.
When you need a bit of cake just take it out by the number of slices you need and thaw. No need to thaw the whole loaf if you don’t need it all.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix the first 5 ingredients together. Mix the next 5 ingredients together separately. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well. Lightly grease a loaf pan. Place the mixture in the pan and bake for 1 hour.
Make it Healthier:
You can always make this cake even healthier. Here is how:
1. I have already lightened up this recipe. The original recipe called for a brown sugar and cinnamon topping on the cake. That is delicious but the cake is very good without it.
2. Cut down on the sugar called for in the recipe. I would use 3/4 cup of sugar instead of 1 cup.
3. Replace 1/2 of the white flour with whole wheat flour. If you sift the whole wheat flour it will still be a nice light loaf.
- For lower fat baking, try substituting unsweetened applesauce for the oil in loafs and cakes. The taste is about the same and the fat content is cut considerably.
Want to be the first to know about new recipes and articles on Cookingnook.com? Sign up here for site updates and never miss a great recipe.
Like our applesauce cake? Have a look at our other easy dessert recipes.
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to share it on your favorite social media. You can add your comments below. Thanks a lot.
2 thoughts on “Applesauce Cake”
Great recipe! I have slightly modified it by adding some nuts and dried fruits: first I tried with cashews and raisins and second time with hazelnuts and dried cranberries. Both were delicious!
These comments were made about this applesauce cake and transferred from our old site:
Great applesauce cake
Just tried this recipe and now it’s going into my binder!
A great treat with milk for the cool afternoons coming up.
1ST time making this, did the low fat version. Simply amazing..!! Took only 40 minutes to bake. Shipping it to my kids & grandson, I’m certain they’re going to love as much as everyone here does. Sending recipe to my daughter in law… Thank you so much for a delicious & easy to make recipe..!!!!
Easy and Wonderful
I made two batches of this recipe. Its taste is perfect and so quick & easy to make. That is right up my alley! I made mini loaves, muffin tops and cookies with this batter. I Love the fact the finished product can be frozen for later use. I think if I add a little more soda I can add nuts and raisins or currants etc. A Keeper for me. ;<)