This Mediterranean beef casserole is really a type of stew.
It is a wonderful mixture of savory flavors from that area of the world – like garlic, tomatoes, red wine and mushrooms.
The recipe says to cook it in the oven, but it can be done on the stove top as well.
Just cook it on low heat for a bit less time than if you put it in the oven.
If you are looking for a beef stew recipe that is just a bit different, I think you will really like this one.
Serve over pasta, mashed potatoes, noodles or rice. Or, to really up the nutritional value of this meal, serve it over cooked quinoa.
Great one pot easy dinner recipe!
Mediterranean Beef Casserole
- 1 1/2 pounds chuck steak, lean
- 2 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons seasoned flour
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks celery, washed
- 1 carrot, washed and sliced
- 2 red peppers, seeded and diced
- 15 ounce can tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups stock, or water
- 4 tablespoons red wine
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 - 2 bay leaves
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, or 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/4 pound mushrooms
- 3 1/2 cups pasta
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon parsley, freshly chopped (optional)
- Trim the meat to remove excess fat or gristle. Cut meat into small 1/2 inch cubes. Toss the cubes in seasoned flour. Heat half the oil in a skillet on a high heat, turn down a little and fry the meat on all sides to seal. Drain onto a plate and leave the meat juices in the skillet.
- Put the remaining oil in an oven proof casserole and cook the onion over low heat for 3 minutes. Add the crushed garlic.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the celery into neat slices and add them to the onions. Add the carrot and diced peppers. Toss all vegetables in the oil over a low heat for 2 minutes. Add the meat and tomatoes to the casserole. Put the stock into the skillet and mix it with the meat juices and the red wine over a low heat. Pour the mixture over the meat and vegetables. Add the herbs.
- Bring it to a boil, then place in the hot oven and cook for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Add mushrooms, either sliced or whole, halfway through the cooking time. The casserole may be cooked on top of the stove, but must only simmer gently for about 45 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water with a few drops of oil added, for approximately 12 minutes. Drain and toss in a little melted butter with a shake of pepper (and nutmeg if desired). Serve the beef casserole over the pasta. Garnish with chopped parsley (optional).
Tips and Variations:
- What is a Bouquet Garni? It is a mix of various herbs that are tied together or placed in cheesecloth so they can be cooked in the pot but later removed before serving. Traditionally a French bouquet garni includes fresh parsley, fresh or dried thyme, and bay leaf. You will find our recipe for bouquet garni here.
- This casserole or beef stew also tastes great served with mashed potatoes (try roasted garlic mashed potatoes), rice or noodles.
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to share it on social media. Thanks a lot.