This classic chocolate mayonnaise cake is probably the best moist chocolate cake recipe you will find anywhere.
Chocolate cake is just about everyone’s favorite and if you can make it easily at home, it is even better.
This is such an easy chocolate cake to make that I am sure you will bake it over and over again, any day of the week.
The use of mayonnaise sounds strange but it ensures a moist cake every time.
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 1/3 cups water
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Grease and flour 2 - 9" round cake pans.
- Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well and set aside.
- Beat together eggs, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl for 3 minutes, using the high speed of an electric mixer. Mixture should be smooth and creamy. Reduce speed to low and beat in mayonnaise until blended.
- Add flour mixture in batches, alternating with water, in 4 equal additions (1/4 of the flour, then 1/4 of the water etc). Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until the center of the cake springs back when lightly touched or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake is clean when removed. Cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from the pans and allow to cool completely before frosting with your favorite frosting.
- This recipe calls for mayonnaise and not Miracle Whip or another similar salad dressing. I have not substituted salad dressing so I can’t tell you how that would turn out, but Miracle Whip type dressings do have a more tangy flavor than mayo.