Statistics show that blueberry pie is one of the US and Canada’s favorite pies, with (apple pie being THE all time favorite)
Whether you use fresh or frozen berries, this wonderful pie recipe is sure to be a family favorite.
Blueberries grow wild here and it used to be that you could only get them if you lived nearby.
Now, with the advent of global agriculture, these wonderful little blue gems are available to us year round, so we can enjoy a homemade pie made with fresh blueberries any time of the year.
You can also use frozen blueberries for the pie. Just substitute an equal amount of frozen berries for the fresh.
Pie pay not be the healthiest dessert to eat every day, but once in a while it is nice to have a treat like this. And especially when a star power food like blueberries are included. Blueberries are packed with vital nutrients and vitamins and certainly up the health content of pie. And they are so delicious! A double win.
Easy Blueberry Pie Recipe
- 4 cups blueberries, fresh, or frozen if that is all you have
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Pastry for double-crust 9 inch pie
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 dash ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons butter, or margarine
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the blueberries in a bowl and sprinkle them with lemon juice.
- Roll half of the crust to about 1/8" in thickness and fit it into a 9" pie plate.
- Combine the sugar, flour and spices and stir well. Add the flour mixture to the berries, stirring well to mix it all in. Pour the berry mixture into the pastry lined pie plate. Dot the filling with butter.
- Roll out the remaining crust to 1/8" thickness. Cover the pie with the crust. Trim the pastry around the edge of the pie pan. Seal and flute the edges. Cut slits in the crust top for steam to escape. Combine the egg yolk and water. Lightly brush the pastry top with the egg mixture.
- Bake at 400°F for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool before serving.