This cheesy Brussels sprouts recipe is one that even sprout haters may dig into.
Brussel sprouts with velvety cheese sauce may just be my new favorite sprouts recipe.
It’s easy to make. Just cook the Brussels sprouts lightly, make a cheese sauce, put it all together and pop it in the oven for a short bake – of course with some extra cheese baked into the top. It’s sort of like a Brussels sprouts casserole.
This easy vegetable recipe really perks up just about any dinner. You can serve it with something quite plain like baked chicken breasts or pork chops, but it is equally good as part of a dinner party or big holiday dinner. I think it would make a wonderful addition to your Thanksgiving or Christmas recipes.
In this version of the recipe I have used cheddar cheese. It works best with a medium or strong cheddar, which adds more flavor than the mild. You could also switch the cheddar for other tasty, melty cheeses like Swiss or Muenster.
Brussels sprouts are part of the Brassica family of vegetables that also includes broccoli and cabbage. They actually look like little cabbages don’t they? They are very healthy for us and a wonderful vegetable to include in our eating plans often, although maybe not always with cheese sauce on them.
The mix of Brussel sprouts with cheese sauce may not be the first combination to come to mind, but it is pretty delicious. If you like sprouts, give this version a try.
Give it a try and see what you think. Leave your comments and suggestions below the recipe, and if you could give it a Like and a Pin that would be much appreciated.
Cheesy Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese , grated, for the top
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Cook the Brussels sprouts until they are fairly tender. Drain them well. Add the diced celery, cover and set aside. The celery won't cook, but will soften up as the sprouts sit for a bit.
- Now make a simple cheese sauce: In small saucepan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Once bubbling, remove the mixture from the heat and stir in milk. Use a whisk to make sure there are no lumps.
- Return the sauce to the heat and cook, stirring constantly, until it is thickened. Mix in the cheese and stir until it is melted. Heat thoroughly. Add Brussels sprouts and gently stir into cheese sauce.
- Pour the Brussels sprouts and cheese sauce mixture into a baking dish. Sprinkle the top with the extra 1/2 cup of grated cheddar cheese and bake at 350ºF for 15 to 20 minutes or so, until it is all bubbly and the cheddar cheese on top is melted and browned.
I have marked this Brussels sprouts recipe as Low Carb, but everyone has their own definition of what is appropriate on a lower carb diet. This recipe only has 11.3 grams of carbs, with 2.2 grams of fiber, so it’s a net carb count of just 9.1, which is fairly low carb. It does however have a bit of flour, which is a total no no on some low carb diets, so use your own judgement as to whether or not this recipe suits your diet and lifestyle.
Here is another yummy brussels sprouts recipe, this one with pecan butter.
Want to be the first to know about new recipes and posts on Cookingnook.com? Sign up here for site updates and never miss a great recipe.
You will find all of our great vegetable recipes right here.
1 thought on “Cheesy Brussels Sprouts Recipe”
Just made this and it was good, however, I don’t think there were enough brussel sprouts or too much sauce for the amount. I actually increased the brussel sprouts from 2 cups to 3 1/2 because that was half the bag and that was cut up and I still think there was too much cheese sauce. But who can have too much cheese sauce?