This bulgur salad recipe is a delicious mix of a healthy whole grain, vegetables, nuts and fruit.
It is a very healthy salad recipe, perfect as a side dish with so many main courses, whether they are vegetarian or non.
Bulgar is a healthy food for so many reasons. It is a whole grain, as well as a high fiber food, low in fat and low calorie.
Bulgur wheat is both vegetarian and vegan so it works perfectly for either of those diet choices.
Bulgur is referred to in several ways throughout the world where it is enjoyed. It is often also called bulgar, bulghur or burghul. Whatever you want to name it, it is a delicious, versatile and healthy whole grain.
You can use bulgar like many other grains like rice or couscous.
This recipe is SO healthy!
In this fabulous recipe, the bulghur is cooked in orange juice to sweeten it a bit, then combined with a wonderful array of dried fruits, vegetables and nuts.
Mix in a healthy oil and lemon juice dressing and you have a wonderful healthy salad recipe, perfect for everyday or for entertaining.
These wholesome and tasty grains have been enjoyed by populations around the world for centuries, but here in North America, many of us are just beginning to enjoy the variety of whole grains that are available.
I think you will really like this recipe.
You can certainly serve it all year round. It is a delightful summer salad, but with the addition of orange juice and dried fruits, it is a wonderful salad that will bring memories of warm weather to any winter day too.
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, or almonds, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium saucepan combine the orange juice and 1 cup of water. Bring it to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the bulgur. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it stand, covered, until the bulgar has absorbed all of liquid, probably about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl add the cranberries, celery, cucumber, onion and nuts. Add the cooked bulgur, the parsley, mint, olive oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper. Mix it all together well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving to allow the flavors to meld together.