This cheese bread is a lovely bread recipe.
Because it requires just one rising, it is much faster to make than regular yeast bread recipes.
I love the mix of herbs and cheese. It is a great bread to serve warm with butter alongside a hearty soup or stew on a cool night.
This savory bread recipe also makes a wonderful accompaniment to a salad for a lighter meal.
Make it healthier by switching out half of the white flour with whole wheat flour. Sift the flour with a sifter or strainer before you add it to the mix though. It helps to lighten up the texture of bread or muffins made with whole wheat flour.
You can change the herbs to suit your taste and the meal you are serving.
It would be wonderful with basil and oregano instead of tarragon and caraway. Serve it with anything Italian.
The herbs don’t just add flavor to the bread. Each is quite healthy on it’s own too and adds great nutritional value to this bread recipe.
You can also try different cheeses. Stronger cheeses will add a more pronounced cheese flavor to the bread, but try your favorites and see what you like.
Herb Cheese Bread
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 cups flour, divided
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Combine the milk, water and butter in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, remove from the heat, and cool to lukewarm.
- Combine 1 cup of flour, the yeast, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add the milk mixture, the egg, herbs and cheddar cheese. Beat for 2 minutes. Beat another 2 minutes. Gradually stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Stir down the dough. Spoon the dough into a greased 1 1/2 quart round baking dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- Makes 1 loaf.
- You can vary this cheese bread with the choice of herbs and cheese you use. Try basil and oregano in the same amounts indicated in the recipe and add a touch of parmesan cheese.
- An older, strong cheddar works really well in this recipe as it adds lots of flavor.
- Try grated swiss cheese for a delicate flavor.
If you like this cheese bread, you will want to have a look at our other bread recipes here.
Sign up here and be the first to get new recipes and tips.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to share it on your favorite social media. You can also share a comment below Thanks so much.