This simple and easy chicken and broccoli casserole recipe, or chicken divan, is ready for the oven in minutes.
I love it and make it often. It’s a great make-ahead dish to serve guests.
Simple and quick to put together, I make it a few hours ahead, then bake as needed.
This is one of the easiest frozen broccoli recipes you will find.
I love easy casserole recipes. They are a great way to use up leftovers and make great dinner recipes for every day or entertaining.
This one is no exception. Great for leftover roast chicken. You can also use a purchased rotisserie chicken or the leftovers from that. Don’t you love good recipes that are easy too. On a busy day, I sure do appreciate them.
Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut up
- 20 ounces frozen broccoli, or equivalent fresh.
- 1 cup cheddar, or other tasty cheese, shredded
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 can water, or milk, about 5 ounces
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- Heat oven to 350°. Arrange cooked chicken in ungreased baking dish or glass casserole. (Use the long size, not the square, about 7 1/2" by 11 1/2").
- Layer broccoli over chicken. Sprinkle 1/2 the cheese over. Stir together milk and soup and pour over all. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top. Top with a thin of the breadcrumbs that have been mixed with the softened butter.
- Bake uncovered for 25 - 30 minutes.
- If using fresh broccoli, steam it lightly until it is still underdone. If using frozen, use as is.
- Use turkey instead of chicken to make this a great recipe for turkey leftovers during holiday time.
- Replace the breadcrumb topping with 1 small can of French fried onion rings for a tasty crunch. Bake without the onion rings for 25 minutes, then sprinkle them on top and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Lower the fat content by using low fat soup and low fat milk or replacing the milk with water.