Chicken mole is the classic of all Mexican chicken recipes.
I always thought it would be quite difficult, but this recipe shows that you can make mole sauce quite easily.
Chocolate and chicken? Yes, it actually works. Give it a try.
A Healthy Chicken Mole
This classic chicken with mole sauce is quite healthy for you. Unsweetened chocolate is filled with nutrients.
Unsweetened chocolate is an excellent source of manganese and copper, both elements that we sometimes find difficult to include in our diets. It also has lots of magnesium (great for sleeping) and iron.
I am always intrigued by how cultures all over the world are able to source foods with excellent nutritional value no matter what their environment. Every culture has foods that we may never have heard of that are high in nutritional value.
Mexican cuisine of course has many highly nutritious foods that we use regularly. Avocados, citrus, chocolate, cumin and many more are all very good for us. You can see from the nutritional table that this chicken mole has lots of iron and protein, calcium and your day’s supply of Vitamin C.
- 3 pounds chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, medium. coarsely chopped
- 6 tomatoes, peeled or 15 ounce can tomatoes
- 3 chili peppers, red, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons whole almonds, or pecans
- 2 tablespoons peanuts
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick, broken up
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces chocolate, plain, unsweetened
- Put the chicken pieces and onion in a pan. Season and add water to cover. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Remove the chicken and drain on a paper towel. Reserve the stock.
- To make the sauce, blend together the cooked onion, tomatoes, chili peppers and garlic. Grind the seeds nuts and cinnamon.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan and brown the chicken. Add the tomato mixture and the ground nut mixture. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add half the chicken stock and the chocolate, broken into pieces. Stir over a low heat until the chocolate is dissolved. Bring to a boil and simmer until the chicken is cooked, adding more stock if necessary.