This double chocolate pudding cake is called double chocolate because it is a chocolate cake with oozy chocolate pudding inside, much like the boxed mixes you can buy but. The difference is this one is much, much better.
Believe it or not, it is a microwave cake recipe. The recipe was originally shared with Cookingnook.com visitors by by Marcia S from Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
She says “This is one favorite which my husband loves as it is a quick and easy dessert.”
Marcia got the recipe from a newspaper recipe competition. “Years back the St. Catharines Standard held a yearly cooking contest of which all the best cooks in the Region submitted their favourite recipes. They chose the best to print a special cookbook supplement and awarded great prizes which my friend and I won for 3 years running.”
I wish I had been in St. Catharines then to get those yummy recipes.
Double Chocolate Pudding Cake
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- l egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- Combine and stir together all dry ingredients and chipits. In another bowl, melt the butter in the microwave and add the milk, egg and vanilla. Stir into the flour mix and add the nuts. Pour into a buttered microwave safe baking dish.
- In a bowl mix the brown sugar, cocoa and boiling water. Pour over the cake batter, but do not stir. Cover with paper towel or Saran.
- Cook on high in the microwave for 10 minutes, turning the pan after 6 minutes for even cooking.
Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Tip: Try this recipe with various fruits minus the cocoa, or punch it up with your favorite liquor for a special occasion.