This is a lovely Thai coconut shrimp recipe.
Unlike our other recipe for fried coconut shrimp, which you will find here, this one is cooked in a creamy coconut and ginger sauce.
The recipe easily multiplies to serve as many people as you wish.
I would use plump large shrimp in this recipe.
The recipe calls for fresh, raw shrimp and that is best, but you can certainly substitute pre-cooked shrimp if that is what you have on hand.
Just add the pre-cooked shrimp to the sauce and cook until it is heated through, taking care not to over cook it.
This wonderful Thai shrimp recipe is great served over rice. The Thai would serve it over hot cooked Jasmine rice, but you can substitute cooked white rice or brown rice if you prefer.
This is one of those great 30 minute meals that you will come back to over and over again.
Don’t forget to get your rice cooking before you begin cooking the coconut sauce. The shrimp recipe really does take just a few minutes to make and you really do want everything ready to put together at the same time.
I hope you enjoy it.
Thai Creamy Coconut Shrimp Recipe
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 13.5 ounces canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons Thai style fish sauce
- 1 Thai Chili, seeded & minced or jalapeno pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, grated fresh
- 1 pound raw shrimp
- 1 teaspoon sugar, optional
- Fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Put broth and coconut milk into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and stir in fish sauce, chile & ginger root. Cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp and sugar. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Garnish with cilantro & parsley.
- Serve over hot Jasmine rice.
- Use pre-cooked shrimp and cook for just 1 minute to heat through.
- If you don’t have Jasmine rice, feel free to use white or brown rice in its place.
For diabetic recipes, serve this coconut shrimp with lots of shrimp and very little rice. Serve with lots of vegetables on the plate with it. This is also a great low carb recipe without the rice. The rice is fine if you need gluten free.