This is a simple, easy to make and yummy sour cream coffee cake recipe. It has sweet and crunchy streusel layers between the soft layers of cake.
Most streusel layers combine cinnamon and walnuts with a bit of sugar. This recipe has an extra secret ingredient in the streusel – cocoa.
This recipe is bound to be a hit with family and friends.
Coffee cakes really are easy cake recipes to make from scratch. Even if you don’t consider yourself a real baker, you can easily make this cake recipe for family and friends.
The cocoa in this recipe adds another tasty flavor element and really zips up the flavor.
You can see from the instructions that this cake can be baked in 3 different kinds of pans. Suit yourself as to how you want it to look, or use whatever type pan you have.
It is one of the best cake recipes I have.
If you are going to indulge in cake, a coffee cake recipe like this one is one of the best to eat. It is simple, no high sugar icing, and has nuts for added nutrition.
Coffee Cake Recipe with Sour Cream
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, or margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, large
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix the last 4 ingredients together to form the streusel mixture. (Sugar, cinnamon, cocoa and walnuts)
- Combine the dry cake ingredients and mix until well blended.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and sour cream, then add the dry ingredient mixture.
To Bake in a Bundt Pan:
- Place about 1/3 of the cake mix in a greased tube or bundt pan. Layer 1/2 of the streusel over the cake batter. Add another layer of each and end with a layer of cake batter. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
To Bake in a Loaf Pan:
- Add half of the batter to a large loaf pan. Then layer 1/2 of the streusel mix over the batter. Add the rest of the batter and top the cake with the other 1/2 of the streusel. This recipe will make one large loaf pan or two smaller ones. Bake as directed above.
To Bake in a 13"x9" pan:
- Add half of the batter to a large loaf pan. Then layer 1/2 of the streusel mix over the batter. Add the rest of the batter and top the cake with the other 1/2 of the streusel. Bake at 350ºF, but only for 25 minutes or so. Check carefully to see if it's baked after about 20 minutes.
Tips and Variations:
- To lower the fat content, replace 1 cup of the sour cream with a cup of plain yogurt.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on the top of the cake by sifting it through a strainer while holding it over the cake.