Easy Hermit Cookie Recipe2013-04-29
Average Member Rating
(4 / 5)
13 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 48 cookies
- Servings : 48
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 20m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat29
This hermit cookie recipe is an old standby.
It is a great combination of sweet and spicy, with nuts and raisins for texture.
It has always been one of my favorite homemade cookies.
Hermit Cookie Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, room temperature
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
In a medium bowl, beat together butter or margarine, brown sugar, egg and coffee powder until fluffy. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, beating until blended. Stir in raisins and walnuts. Drop by teaspoonfuls, 2 inches apart, on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove cookies from baking sheets. Cool on racks.
Makes about 48 cookies.
- Nuts are optional of course. So are the raisins, although both really add to the taste of the cookies.
- If you use nuts, the recipe recommends walnuts, but you can be creative and substitute chopped pecans or almonds.
As always, this is an easy cookie recipe. There are no big tricks to learning to bake cookies. Just mix the ingredients together well and make sure the oven is preheated before you bake them.
Watch any baking carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn.
As cookies go, these are fairly healthy. To make them even more healthy, use whole wheat flour for all or at least 1/2 of the amount called for. I always recommend sifting whole wheat flour first to remove some of the loose bran in the flour. It makes your baking lighter and makes great cookies.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.