This delicious cream of asparagus soup is a spring time favorite, but the fact is that with the availability of asparagus all year round, you can treat yourself to this yummy soup at any time of the year.
Cream soups are very easy soup recipes and this one is no exception.
Making soup is the perfect way to use up those somewhat tougher parts of the asparagus stem.
Asparagus is extremely healthy for us and a great vegetable to include on your menu often.
Asparagus has a woody end that is not too appetizing to eat. Here’s an easy way to tell what the edible portion is.
Take each spear of asparagus and hold it by the ends. Bend gently. As you bend the spear it will naturally break where it becomes more tender. The part of the asparagus spear above the break (including the head) is the tender part. Here is a tip though – if you hold the asparagus at the very tip, it will break too far near the top of the spear and you will lose some of that asparagus goodness that would have been fine to eat. I hold the top of the spear just below the head and bend to break it. When you hold it a little bit farther down like that it breaks at a more natural point and you have lots of luscious asparagus to enjoy.
Some of the lower part can be chopped for this soup recipe. The toughest parts of the stem can’t be used but the lower mid section, that you would usually throw out when you steam asparagus, is perfect because they will get cooked in the soup broth and soften up.
That means very little waste. Just discard the woodier ends of the asparagus.
Easy Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
- 1/2 onion, or 6 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 potato, large, diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, peeled and chopped, woody stems removed (see Cooking Tips)
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 to 1 cup cream, or milk
- Sauté the onions in the butter. Add the potatoes and the broth. Simmer it all together until the potato is soft.
- Add the asparagus. Add the celery and cook for approximately 10 minutes. Use salt and pepper to taste.
- Purée the soup, adding cream or milk until you reach your desired consistency.
Save a few shorter spears of asparagus and steam them. Place one or two spears on top of each bowl before serving. Chop the bottom ends and add to the asparagus that you cook in the soup. (See the image at the top of the page.)
- Use vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian soup recipe.
- Add broth instead of cream or milk at the end if you want a creamy texture, but a dairy free soup.