Yummy cupcakes are a favorite of kids and adults alike. It’s like having your own little individual cake.
When dressed up with icing and decorations, cupcakes are a treat for the eyes too.
Today many people opt for cupcake cakes for birthdays, bridal or baby shower cakes or even a wedding cupcake cake.
The last bridal shower I attended had pretty glass storage jars with decorated cupcakes in them as the center pieces, which were later given to guests. What a great idea!
Let your mind go with unique and wonderful ideas for decorating and using these cuppy cakes (as the kids call them).
The recipe provides instructions for a chocolate icing, but use whatever flavor suits you.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Chocolate Frosting:
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line 18 standard muffin cups with paper liners (or use silicone liners like the ones below). Sift the flour and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the butter, eggs, milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Fill the paper liners 3/4 full with the batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the cupcakes are golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, mix the confectioners; sugar, cocoa and butter with a little hot water until smooth. Spread over the cupcakes.
Tips and Variations:
- Omit the cocoa for a vanilla frosting.
- Add just a few drops of your favorite food coloring to color the cupcake icing whatever color you prefer. You can even exactly match party theme colors.
- Use sprinkles, sugared roses and other flowers, silver and gold dots, whatever is edible and looks great to decorate your mini cake creations.