This Duchesse potato recipe is a wonderful way to use leftover mashed potatoes. It’s an easy potato casserole recipe and great make ahead party potatoes recipe.
If you want to go all out and make this recipe look amazing, use a wide cake decorating tip to make pretty fluted piles of the potatoes before baking (as in the photo above).
If you are more like me, baking it in the casserole dish is just fine.
Either way it is a great way to prepare mashed potatoes to look a bit “grander” for entertaining.
Duchesse Potato Recipe
- one batch of mashed potatoes
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Prepare a batch of mashed potatoes or use leftover potatoes, brought to room temperature.
- Add 1 well beaten egg to the mashed potatoes.
- Butter a square glass baking dish. Put in potatoes, spreading them evenly in the pan. You can add a few peaks to create interest. Brush top of potatoes with melted butter.
- If you have a pastry or piping bag, you can pipe the potatoes into pretty rosettes like the ones pictured above.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until potatoes are heated through and top is brown.
- Note: You only need to bake the potatoes for about 10 minutes if you pipe them into small, serving size rounds.
Serves about 6, but multiplies easily to serve as many as you like.