This is a classic mashed potatoes recipe.
Mashed potatoes must be the ultimate comfort food for most of us. Hot and creamy, you just can’t have a dinner like meat loaf without them. I think you will like this version.
Pair it with one of our easy meatloaf recipes for a delicious comfort food dinner that will take you back in time.
I don’t know about you, but when I think meatloaf, I automatically think mashed potatoes. And potatoes are quite healthy for us.
To make the recipe lower in fat, replace the hot milk with chicken stock and omit the butter.
This recipe will please even the pickiest eater.
How to Make Classic Mashed Potatoes
- 6 potatoes, medium
- large pot of salted water
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk, hot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or amount to suit your taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, to suit your taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into chunks about 2 inches in size. Place in large pot of salted water (at least 1 teaspoon of salt in the water) and boil 15 minutes or until potatoes break easily when pierced with a fork.
- Drain potatoes well but leave them in the pot.
- Add hot milk, beginning with the smaller amount. Add butter. Mash with potato masher and add more milk, butter, salt and pepper if necessary to suit your taste.
- Warming the milk before you add it to the potatoes is best as it results in a very creamy potato. To make life easy, what I sometimes do is add the milk to the drained potatoes in the pot, let it warm on the hot stove, then add the butter and mash.
- To make a herbed mashed potatoes recipe add a few tablespoons of your favorite chopped fresh herbs after the potatoes are mashed. Finely chopped chives are delicious. Basil, parsley or finely chopped thyme work well too.