This easy banana muffin recipe makes one of the nicest banana muffins I have tried.
There is just something warm and homey about banana muffins.
Make it Even Healthier:
Banana muffins are fairly healthy to begin with and this recipe adds buttermilk and walnuts, two very healthy ingredients. You can make it even healthier by replacing at least 1/2 of the all-purpose flour in the recipe with whole wheat flour. I always recommend sifting whole wheat flour before using it. It makes it a bit lighter.
This is one of the best banana recipes and a great way to use up over ripe bananas.
Almost everyone loves banana muffins. What’s not to like?
Of course if you don’t like or can’t tolerate walnuts, simply leave them out, or replace them with an equal amount of raisins or pecans.
Muffins are wonderful for breakfast, or with a salad for lunch.
They make great healthy snacks too! Kids love them and it is another way to sneak fruit into them.
Easy Banana Muffin Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, or margarine, softened, 1 stick
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, large
- 2 bananas, large, ripe, mashed
- 2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Beat together butter and sugar at medium speed of mixer or by hand, until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well each time. Add bananas and beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Alternate stirring in part of the flour mixture and part of the buttermilk into the egg mixture until all is added and mixture is just moistened.
- Do not overmix. Batter will not look completely smooth.
- Stir in nuts and vanilla.
- Grease 12 standard size muffin tins or use paper cupcake cups.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling 2/3 full. Bake 15-18 minutes until lightly golden. Cool muffin pan slightly before turning out the muffins. Cool muffins on a rack a bit more.
Makes 12 medium size muffins. Great served warm with butter!
- Use very ripe bananas for extra sweetness. This is a great recipe for using up those bananas that are a bit riper than you enjoy eating fresh.