Fruit salad recipes work any time of the year for almost any occasion.
Great for breakfast, lunch or dinner, they are also a hit on the buffet table. They can be as plain or as exotic as you like.
This is a delicious fresh fruit salad recipe, filled with the delicious mix of citrus fruits, kiwi and strawberries. It is topped with mint and just a little orange zest and sugar to bring out the flavors.
Fruit salad recipes are so versatile. You can basically mix together your favorite fruits and you will find the combinations that you like best. Try a variety of fruits that you think will work together.
Using fruits in season guarantees a wide variety of delicious fruit salads all year at a reasonable price. Try fresh plums in the later summer and fall. Even in mid winter, a fresh fruit salad on the table brings the sunshine right in.
Fruit salads are very healthy too. Mix together fruits of various colors and textures to make sure you get all the nutrients possible in one bowl.
Also, try cutting down on the sugar. Gradually you will find that the natural sweetness of the fruit is enough. Or substitute the sugar with Stevia, a natural sweetener or coconut sugar, which is much lower in carbs than regular sugar.
Fruit Salad with Citrus Bowl Dressing
- 2 oranges
- 2 grapefruits
- 2 kiwi, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 pint strawberries, stems removed and cut in half or quartered
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or sugar replacement
- 2 tablespoons mint, fresh, chopped
- Grate the zest from one of the oranges and place in a small bowl with the sugar. Mix.
- Section and cut the grapefruit and oranges over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup of the juices. Place sections in another bowl. Add kiwi, strawberries and mint.
- Mix reserved juices into bowl with the zest/sugar mixture. Pour over fruit and toss to coat. Chill for 30 minutes before serving.
For diabetes recipes follow the recommendations above for the sugar. This is a great diabetic dessert recipe.