This ginger beef stir fry recipe is another of our easy dinner recipes. It features an easy marinade and lots of tasty, healthy vegetables.
Oriental beef dishes cook up quickly because the meat is always sliced into thin slices.
This is a great flank steak recipe, but you can substitute other cuts of beef as well. I often use round steak. Sliced thinly it works very well.
- 2 pounds flank steak, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6 green onions, sliced in half, then sliced lengthwise (or 1 small onion, chopped)
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 red pepper, cut into julienne strips
- 1 cup snow peas, whole or sliced
- 1 piece fresh ginger, 1" long, slivered or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry, or Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Combine the marinade ingredients (soy sauce, sherry, sugar and cornstarch) and mix well. Pour the marinade over the meat and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a skillet or wok. Add the ginger to the pan (sprinkle ginger in the pan if using ground ginger). Add the meat and stir fry about 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove the meat mixture and it set aside. Add the carrots to the pan and stir fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the other vegetables and stir fry for another 2-3 minutes. Add the meat back and heat it all through.
- Great served over Chinese egg noodles or rice.
Tips and Variations:
- Up the vegetable content. Add frozen peas, broccoli, chopped tomatoes, chopped onions, celery or sliced mushrooms.
- Omit the sugar for a healthier sugar free or diabetic recipe. It will still taste good. (Yes, diabetics can eat a bit of sugar, but all carbs add up and I leave it out).
- Start boiling water for the noodles before you begin cooking the ginger beef. Prep the vegetables while the water comes to a boil, then begin cooking the beef and vegetables. The same with the rice. They take longer to cook than the dish takes to make.
Please note that if you really need this recipe to be totally gluten free, make sure that your soy sauce is gluten free. Some are, some are not.
See the Variations section above for more options and cooking tips.
For Diabetics: More vegetables and less noodles or rice will be the way to go.
Subscribe to the site here and never miss a great recipe.
If you like our ginger beef, you will love another of our beef stir fry recipes, Chinese broccoli beef.
If you like this recipe, I would really appreciate it if you share it on social media. Thanks.