This gluten free banana bread recipe is not only delicious, it is a very welcome treat for anyone who is gluten intolerant.
Gluten free recipes serve a huge need for people whose systems cannot properly digest wheat, such as those with celiac disease, and who get intense pain whenever they eat foods that contain wheat.
It is often difficult to find good gluten free baking recipes, especially in small quantities.
Yet people who need recipes for things like this gluten free banana bread often don’t want a huge quantity.
For those of you in that situation, you will love this small batch recipe.
Gluten free ingredients can be expensive and if there is just one person in the house who needs wheat free recipes, a large batch can be too much.
This recipe comes from a fantastic cookbook called The Gluten-Free Baking Book: 250 Small-Batch Recipes for Everything from Brownies to Cheesecake by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt.
The recipes are perfect for a gluten free diet, replacing wheat flour with gluten free alternatives. And they are all small batch recipes, making 6 muffins or a smaller loaf of bread or cake.
The authors say that this classic recipe almost missed inclusion in this book. Good thing they remembered. Banana bread is such a popular quick bread recipe.
Please read the notes below the recipe before making this recipe.
This recipe makes a small loaf. You will need a 5 3/4 – by 3 1/4-inch (14 by 8 cm) mini loaf pan, lightly greased.
Gluten Free Banana Bread Recipe
- 3/4 cup bananas, mashed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sorghum flour
- 1/3 cup low-fat soy flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, Gluten Free
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg yolk, large
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, combine the bananas, milk and vinegar. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl or plastic bag, combine the sorghum flour, soy flour, tapioca starch, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum and salt. Mix together well and set aside.
- Add the egg yolk and oil to the banana mixture and, using an electric mixer, beat it until all is combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- Lightly grease a 5 3/4 - by 3 1/4-inch, 14 by 8 cm mini loaf pan.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Let it stand for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Bake for 20 minutes. Check to see if the loaf is getting too dark and tent with foil if necessary.
- Bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until internal temperature of loaf registers 200°F (100°C) on an instant-read thermometer.
- Let the banana bread cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
- Makes 6 slices.
Tips and Variations on the gluten free banana bread recipe:
- You’ll need about 2 very ripe medium bananas for 3/4 cup of mashed banana. Do not add extra.
- This is a very dark loaf, and will appear baked before it is, so it is important to take the internal temperature.
- Stir in 1/3 cup (75 mL) chopped walnuts or pecans at the end of step 3.
I hope you enjoy this fantastic recipe. If you do, have a look at the cookbook The Gluten-Free Baking Book: 250 Small-Batch Recipes for Everything from Brownies to Cheesecake.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to share it on your favorite social media. Thanks so much.