I think most people will like these meringue cookies, especially those who need gluten free cookie recipes.
Recipes for gluten free cookies can be difficult or fussy, with all the replacement ingredients needed, but not this recipe.
It contains no flour at all and is perfect for a gluten free diet.
Use a cookie press to express the cookies, as in the image to the right, for a wonderful presentation of these yummy walnut cookies.
Gluten free cookie recipes can be difficult to come by, but they are essential for those who are gluten intolerant or who have celiac disease.
These delicate meringue cookies have no flour, just whipped egg whites and lots of very finely chopped walnuts.
It is really important in this recipe that you chop the walnuts very finely or you will end up with meringues that are plain with large chunks of walnuts in them instead of light walnut cookies.
Per cookie, these cookies don’t have that much sugar in them. You can see from the calorie and carbohydrate count that they are a relatively healthy diet treat too.
Gluten Free Cookie Recipes: Walnut Meringues
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- Beat the egg whites until they are foamy (see Tips below for notes on the egg whites). Add the cream of tartar and salt. Beat until the whites are stiff, but not dry.
- Beat in the vanilla, then the brown sugar 2 tablespoons at a time. (If the brown sugar has any lumps, sift it before adding it to the egg whites.) Continue to beat the egg white mixture until it is very stiff, then fold in the walnuts.
- Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls, onto well-greased and lightly floured baking sheets. Bakes at 250°F for 30 minutes or until pale tan in colour. Remove the cookies from the baking sheets immediately and place them on a wire rack to cool.
This recipe makes about 3 dozen delicious meringue cookies.
- Egg whites will beat up faster and higher volume if they are brought to room temperature before beating.
- The walnuts need to be very finely chopped, almost to a ground walnut texture. That way they distribute nicely through the meringue and give it some color and flavor throughout the cookie.
You will find more gluten free cookie recipes here, along with many other gluten free treats.
Look here for information on why walnuts, almonds and other nuts are so healthy for us. You will want to include nuts in your diet every day after reading this.