It is often difficult to find delicious gluten-free recipes and for many people they are essential.
Here is one you won’t want to miss – double chocolate gluten free banana muffins.
The recipe comes from a cookbook called 150 Best Gluten-Free Muffin Recipes, written by Camilla Saulsbury.
Camilla is a wonderful recipe developer and her recipes are always delicious.
Recipes like these can literally be a life saver for those who are gluten intolerant or have celiac disease.
Either of those conditions means that the person cannot eat even a tiny bit of wheat in any form.
It can be extremely difficult to find great tasting recipes for gluten free baking. And wheat is SO much a part of our western diet – in breads, crackers, pastas and cereals.
That’s why cookbooks like this one from Camilla Saulsbury are so important. They help make life easier for those whose really NEED gluten-free recipes. Have a look at the gluten-free recipes in Camilla’s muffin cookbook.
Gluten Free Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 1 cup brown rice flour, blend, see below the recipe
- 1 cup teff flour
- 6 tablespoon cocoa powder, unsweetened, not Dutch process
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, gluten-free, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour blend, teff flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, eggs, butter and vanilla until well blended. Whisk in the bananas and yogurt until blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until well blended. Gently fold in the chocolate.
- Using a greased 12-cup muffin pan, divide the batter equally among the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer them to the rack to cool.
Makes 12 muffins.
Bananas that are overripe and going brown are best for baking, as they are the sweetest. If your bananas aren’t ripe enough, peel and bake them at 450°F (230°C) on an ungreased baking sheet for 10 to 15 minutes.
This one is a “must try” for those who need gluten free baking.
Make It a Casein-Free Vegan Muffin:
Replace the yogurt with plain soy yogurt. Replace the butter with unrefined virgin coconut oil, warmed, or vegan margarine, melted.
Brown Rice Flour Blend
Here’s the recipe for the all-purpose blend Camilla uses in the majority of the recipes in this collection.
- 2 cups finely ground brown rice flour (500 mL)
- 2/3 cup potato starch (150 mL)
- 1/3 cup tapioca starch (75 mL)
In a bowl, whisk together the brown rice flour, potato starch and tapioca starch. Use as directed in the recipes.
Makes 3 cups (750 mL).