This ham scallop casserole is one of the nicest leftover ham recipes.
I love ham dinners, but if you are a small family, a couple or living alone, even a small ham just gets to be too much.
A leftover ham casserole is a great way to enjoy the ham.
Don’t let length of the ingredient list deter you.
It is very easy to prepare and is another one of those great one dish meals and easy dinner recipes.
I really think you will enjoy this one.
Ham Scallop Casserole
- 2 pounds cooked ham, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cauliflower, small, separated into florets
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 stalks celery , sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cracker crumbs
- 1 cup swiss cheese, or edam, shredded
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In large pot of boiling water, cook cauliflower, carrots and celery for 7 minutes or until tender crisp. Drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, melt butter with oil over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic for 4 minutes or until onions are softened. Stir in flour, mustard and pepper. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Gradually stir in chicken stock. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in milk. Add ham, cauliflower, carrots and celery. Spoon the mixture into a shallow casserole.
- Combine cracker crumbs, edam cheese, almonds and parmesan. Sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown.