I am not sure why this recipe is called Harvard beets.
Were they invented in Harvard MA? If you know, please use the comment form below to let us all know.
Whatever they are called, this beet recipe is very easy to make and will bake in the oven as you prepare other things.
Beets are an underused vegetable. They are sweet and delicious.
Beets are a hard vegetable and do take a bit of time to cook. It is definitely worth it though.
This recipe is a wonderful way to use up leftover beets. The combination with apples and onions is a good mix. Add a bit of sugar if you have very tart apples to sweeten them up just a touch.
- 2 cups beets, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups apples, tart, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- pinch nutmeg, or a grating of nutmeg if you have fresh
- 1 tablespoon sugar, or 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 - 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Grease a casserole dish. Mix together the first 5 ingredients and put them into the casserole. If the apples are very tart, add the sugar. If they are bland, add the lemon juice. Dot the beet mixture with butter.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour.
Overall, this is a very healthy vegetable recipe. It is a good diabetic recipe too. Yes beets are higher in sugar, but this recipe is quite healthy and you really do need a variety of vegetables in your diet. I would obviously add the lemon juice and not the sugar.