Easy healthy Italian pasta recipes are a great choice as part of a balanced healthy diet.
This recipe for pasta sauce with diced tomatoes is so delicious no one will even suspect how easy it is.
Whether you are looking for healthy pasta recipes or just want a new tasty pasta sauce recipe for dinner tonight, you’ll want to give this one a try.
It is one of the nicest and easiest penne pasta recipes you will find.
Pasta Sauce with Tomatoes and Basil
- 2 ripe tomatoes, large, seeded and chopped or 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil, extra-virgin
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 pound pasta, penne rigate or your favorite shape
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- Parmesan cheese
- Combine fresh and oven-dried tomatoes, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Marinate at room temperature for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Boil pasta in salted water until al dente, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain well, and while still hot, toss with tomato mixture.
- Coarsely chop basil and combine with pasta. Serve immediately, or at room temperature.
- Jazz this recipe up a bit with a few chopped vegetables of your choice. Green, red or yellow peppers work well. Or try chopped zucchini or mushrooms.
For extra nutrition, serve this sauce over whole wheat pasta.
If you are not used to the taste of whole wheat pasta you might find it better if you cook it just an extra minute. Once you get used to whole wheat pasta, you won’t want to change back.