This is a wonderful recipe for lamb chops.
They are marinated in a luscious combination of soy sauce and brown sugar, roasted, then served with a delectable red currant jelly and coriander.
It is an amazing combination of tastes!
Lamb chops are traditionally served quite rare. Cook them a little longer if you prefer them more well cooked, but ideally they are best with at least a bit of pink in the center.
Roasting them the length of time called for in this recipe should create a perfectly rare lamb chop recipe.
Lamb Chops with Red Currant Sauce
- 8 lamb chops, rib chops are specified
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons red currant jelly
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- Put the chops in a plastic bag with the oil, soy sauce, brown sugar seasoning and lemon juice. Place the bag in a dish and leave them to marinate for several hours in the refrigerator. Turn the bag over a few times to ensure all of the meat makes contact with the marinade.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Arrange the chops on a rack in a roasting pan and roast 15 - 20 minutes.
- While the chops are roasting, make the sauce. Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onion for 3 minutes. Add the remainder of the marinade from the chops and simmer for a few minutes. Add the sherry, water, red currant jelly, coriander, and seasoning. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Thicken the sauce by cooking it down for a few minutes or by mixing 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Add a little warmed sauce and return to the saucepan. Stir and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened.
- Serve the chops with the sauce poured over. It is great over steamed rice.
- If you want a bit more color and like the idea of the addition of more fruit to the recipe, add a small drained can of pineapple pieces to the sauce. I personally like it without, but suit your own taste.
- The recipe is gluten free if you make sure the soy sauce you use is gluten free. Some are not.