How to make lemonade especially healthy and even more delicious? Use this lemonade recipe that incorporates honey into the syrup instead of white sugar.
Honey has the same amount of calories as sugar, but it does contain micronutrients that make it much healthier than sugar.
Homemade lemonade doesn’t take very long to make and it is SO much better tasting and better for you than the canned, packaged or carton varieties found in the grocery store.
Honey Lemonade Recipe
- 1 - 2 tablespoons lemon zest, or rind, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 6 cups cold water
- Combine the lemon peel, honey, water and salt in a saucepan. Boil the mixture for 5 minutes. Strain out the peel or remove it with a slotted spoon. Cool the syrup and add the lemon juice.
- Pour the lemon syrup into a 2 quart pitcher or punch bowl and add 6 cups of very cold water. Pour the homemade lemonade over ice in tall glasses.
Garnish your cool and refreshing summer drink with mint sprigs or maraschino cherries if you wish.
Makes 8 servings.
The syrup for the lemonade can be refrigerated for several days. If you want to make lemonade by the glass, just measure 3 tablespoons of the syrup into a tall glass and fill it with ice and cold water. Voilà! Fresh lemonade faster than you can open a carton.
- Here is an easy tip that changes the taste of the lemonade entirely – To make fizzy lemonade mix the lemon syrup with sparkling water. That’s it. Tastes great.
- To make pink lemonade you can add a bit of the liquid from a jar of maraschino cherries.
- Make easy strawberry lemonade by placing a few strawberries in a blender. Whir them until they become a delicious liquid and add that to the lemonade. So good and so healthy.
The zest of a lemon, or any other citrus fruit, is simply the rind peeled very thinly. Make sure you use only the colored part of the rind (or skin). The white “pith” is a bit bitter and doesn’t add the great flavor the zest does.
If you like this homemade lemonade recipe, browse our other refreshing drink recipes here.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it or Like it on Facebook.
Don’t forget to Sign up here for site updates and never miss a great recipe.