Our linguine with clam sauce recipe is one of my mother’s favorite pasta sauce recipes.
Although the recipe calls for canned clams, you can certainly also use fresh clams, as shown in the picture above. Just clean them and add them to the sauce during the last few minutes of cooking time. They will steam and open in the sauce and their liquid will add flavor to the sauce, just like the canned clam liquid.
Like most recipes, I think this one is much better using the fresh clams. Fresh is usually best, but my mother made this often and she loved it with the canned clams, so suit your taste and your budget.
This clam sauce is so easy to make. If you like clams you will love this seafood pasta recipe.
This is one of our easy dinner recipes and definitely a 30 minute meal, perfect for any night of the week.
This is a red clam sauce recipe. That just means it is a sauce with tomatoes. You can also cook a white clam sauce.
Adjust the amount of garlic and crushed red pepper flakes to your liking.
Cooking is all about getting it to taste the way you like it.
Linguine with Clam Sauce
- 20 ounces clams, whole baby clams, canned
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, or salad oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional - to your taste
- 1 pound linguine, uncooked
- Drain clams and reserve the liquid in a small bowl. In a 3 quart saucepan, over medium heat, cook garlic in oil until it is lightly browned. Add the clam liquid, and remaining ingredients except the clams. Stir to mix well. Break up the tomatoes and heat the mixture to boiling. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce is cooking, cook 1 pound of linguine or other pasta, fresh or packaged.
- After the sauce has cooked for the 20 minutes, add the clams and heat though until the clams are heated.
Sign up here and be the first to get new recipes and tips.
If this recipe for linguine with clam sauce makes your mouth water for more Italian recipes, you will find our collection here.
If you like this recipe, I would really appreciate it if you share it on social media. Thanks.