If you like quick bread recipes as much as I do, you will love this honey nut bread recipe.
Some of the reasons I like quick breads is that they are so quick and easy to put together yet make a fabulous dessert. They also freeze well, so you can make it, freeze it and take it out when needed.
This is an exceptional healthy quick bread. It calls for all whole wheat flour, plus has added wheat germ.
You will notice that there is no sugar in this recipe. The cake gets is warm sweetness from just 1/2 cup of honey. It’s a recipe you won’t feel guilty about serving to the kids. And they will love it!
Honey may have the same number of calories as sugar, but it is healthier for us. Honey has lots of health giving properties. It has cancer preventing properties as well as anti-bacterial and anti-oxidants.
And while you are helping to keep healthy, everyone will just think it’s a yummy cake.
Honey Nut Bread Recipe
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped, or pecans
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup honey
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix together the flour, wheat germ, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir in the nuts.
- In another bowl, beat the egg a bit then combine it with the buttermilk and honey. Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients just until the mixture is blended. The dough will be lumpy. Be careful not to over mix. Pour the dough into a well-greased 9"x5" loaf pan.
- Bake at 375°F for 35 - 40 minutes, until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Then turn out onto a rack to cool completely. Wrap the cake in waxed paper or foil and store it overnight before slicing it.
Makes 1 loaf.
This delicate nut bread recipe is delicious sliced thinly and spread with butter, cream cheese, cottage cheese or peanut butter.
- If you don’t want to use the whole nut bread when you bake it, slice it and freeze it. You can take it out of the freezer slice by slice as you need it. A great tip for singles or small households.
- You can replace the nuts with raisins if you prefer. Use the same amount as the nuts, about 1/2 a cup. The raisins make the honey cake very moist.
If you like this nut bread recipe, browse our other quick bread recipes here.
Sign up here and be the first to get new recipes and tips.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to share it on your favorite social media. Thanks so much.