This delicious oven fried chicken recipe combines two of the best tastes of the south, chicken and pecans.
It is oven baked but still crunchy like regular fried chicken.
The buttermilk ensures that is is very tender, while the cayenne and herbs provide a wonderful savory taste.
This is a recipe from one of those amazing Gooseberry Patch cookbooks, Autumn in the Country. (Reprinted with permission).
The crunch coating comes from a mix of crushed cereal and chopped pecans, giving this recipe an added hit of amazing flavor.
Oven “frying” makes this chicken healthier than deep frying.
Oven Fried Chicken with Pecan Crust
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups pecans, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup corn flake cereal, crushed
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 pounds chicken
- Combine the flour and seasonings in a shallow dish. Pour the buttermilk into another shallow dish. Combine the pecans and cereal in a third shallow dish. Spread the butter in a 15 x 10 inch jelly-roll pan.
- Dip the chicken pieces first into the flour mixture, then into the buttermilk. Let drain slightly, then dip into the pecan mixture, turning to coat well. Arrange the chicken in the jelly-roll pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 400°F for about 50 minutes, until the chicken is golden, crisp and tender, turning once after 25 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve warm or cold.
I think you will love this oven fried chicken recipe. If you want a fried chicken recipe that tastes like Kentucky fried, look here.
Sign up here and be the first to get new recipes and tips.
I just love this recipe. If you like it too, I’d love you to share it on your favorite social media. Thanks a lot.