If you love Thai recipes, you will love this pad Thai recipe as much as I do.
Pad Thai really is a meal in a pan.
It is versatile too. You can leave out the chicken and shrimp for a great vegetarian recipe, or make it all chicken or all shrimp. The tofu adds a nice touch, so unless you really don’t like it I would leave it in. Make sure you cook it well so it is nice and crispy.
In terms of the proteins in the pad Thai, you can suit your preference. For a vegetarian version, omit the chicken and shrimp. Or you can use just chicken or shrimp, with no tofu, or add them all.
Pad Thai Recipe
- 8 ounces noodles, dry, preferable Asian style
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, spicy hot, crushed
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups tofu, firm, cut into cubes
- 4 ounces chicken, cooked
- 4 ounces shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups bean sprouts, plus a bit extra set aside for garnishing
- 3 green onions, slivered
- 1/2 cup peanuts, chopped, plus a bit extra set aside for garnishing
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine the soy sauce, lime juice, sugar, ketchup and pepper flakes.
- Heat oil in large skillet to medium heat. Add the tofu and fry until golden and beginning to crisp on all sides. Remove and place in a bowl, leaving the oil in the pan.
- Add the garlic to the hot oil. Cook for 10 seconds, add eggs and cook until scrambled. Add the meat, shrimp and noodles to the wok, mixing well. Add the soy sauce mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until the noodles are soft and tender, which should just take a few minutes. You can add water if you feel the mixture is too dry.
- Stir in the bean sprouts, green onion, tofu and peanuts. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes. Serve sprinkled with more chopped peanuts and a few raw bean sprouts.
Subscribe to the site here (it’s Free!) and never miss a great recipe.
If you like our recipe for pad Thai, you will enjoy our other Asian recipes as well.
You may also want to try this Thai chicken recipe.
If you like this recipe, I would really appreciate it if you share it on social media. Thanks.