Wow! Papaya salsa with red onion and rum. I don’t think I would have thought to put rum in a salsa, but one of our members did.
This delicious sounding salsa recipe was originally contributed to Cookingnook.com by Bobi E. from Rincon de Guayabitos, Nay. Mexico.
Bobi says: This fruity, spiked salsa is perfect with spicy grilled chicken and pork, and gives grilled fish a new life!
If you don’t want real rum in the salsa, substitute with a few drops of rum flavoring. Careful though, those little bottles of flavorings are quite concentrated, so do only add a few drops.
I am not sure about the health benefits of the rum, although some will swear by it. 😉 I do know that all of the other ingredients are VERY healthy for us.
Red Onion, Rum and Papaya Salsa
- 1 papaya, medium, pared and diced
- 1/2 red onion, medium, diced
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh, finely chopped
- 1 ounce dark rum
- In a shallow bowl, combine all ingredients. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours to chill and allow flavors to blend.
You could also add a bit of chopped tomato and avocado. Yummy.