Our pasta with asparagus recipe, looks and tastes like the best gourmet recipe, but is surprisingly easy to make.
The white wine pasta sauce made with fresh cream and shallots is enhanced by the addition of zesty lemon and the last minute toppings of fresh chives and mint.
This is a delightful vegetarian cream sauce pasta recipe.
It is perfect for entertaining, but easy enough to make as a weeknight easy dinner recipe. Try it and see what you think.
Pasta with Asparagus and White Wine Sauce
- 10 stalks asparagus, ends removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 12 ounces fettuccine, uncooked
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1 to 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, plus 2 tablespoons grated, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons chives, minced, optional
- 1 tablespoons mint, minced, optional
- a third lemon, optional
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Remove the tougher ends of the asparagus by holding each end of the stalk and bending. The asparagus spear will break naturally where the toughness ends.
- Place the asparagus stalks in a baking pan large enough to hold them in one layer, and gently rub them with 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of salt over the asparagus and bake in a preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes, depending upon the thickness of the stalks. When cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a generous amount of salted boiling water, cook the fettuccine until al dente (not quite soft). Drain, place in a bowl and toss with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil.
- Pour the wine into a large skillet or pan. Add the shallots. Cook over medium heat until the wine is reduced to one half the volume. Wash the lemons, rinse and dry. Add grated rind and juice from 2 lemons to the wine. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the cream. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and add 1/3 cup of the parmesan cheese, 1/4 teaspoon salt and the cayenne pepper. Simmer slowly, whisking constantly, about 4 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Cut the cold butter into small pieces and add to the sauce, cooking it for about 1 minute. Add the asparagus, pasta and 2 tablespoons of cheese. Toss until the pasta is thoroughly coated with the sauce and heated through.
Sprinkle the dish with grated peel from the third lemon, the chopped chives and mint.
- For added color, chop or finely slice a red pepper and bake it alongside the asparagus.
- Make it healthier by serving the sauce over whole wheat pasta. Whole wheat pasta adds fiber and extra nutrients to your meal.
- For those who are gluten intolerant, simply replace the pasta with a gluten free version.
Sign up here and be the first to get new recipes and tips.
Love the pasta with asparagus recipe? Find more pasta recipes here.
If you like this recipe, please share it on your favorite social media sites. It is really appreciated.