For a quick Mexican “fix” there is nothing quite so good as these cheesy quesadillas.
If you love Mexican appetizers you are sure to love this quesadilla recipe.
The mix of flour tortillas with hot melted cheese and a few spicy chilies is perfect. Top it with guacamole and salsa and you have reached food heaven – well for me anyway.
The nice thing about this recipe is that it can be either an appetizer or a main course.
As a main course I would serve a whole quesadilla with a side salad. From opening the fridge to finding the ingredients to putting dinner on the table, it is less than a 30 minute meal.
Easy Cheesy Vegetarian Quesadillas Recipe
- 4 flour tortillas, large
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Add one tortilla and sprinkle it with half the cheese, half the tomatoes and half the chilies. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place another tortilla on top and press it down gently to seal the tortillas together. Cook the tortilla sandwich for about five minutes, turning once half way through the cooking time.
- Check that the cheese has melted and transfer the quesadilla to a cutting board.
- Repeat the process with the next tortilla.
- Cut the quesadillas into wedges and serve immediately with chunky salsa, sour cream and guacamole.
- Serves 4 as a main course or 8 to 10 as an appetizer.
- If you like it really hot, sprinkle a little hot sauce over the inside of the quesadilla before you add the second tortilla.
- Adding chopped sweet peppers and finely chopped onion doesn’t add heat but does add flavor and nutrition.
- Here’s another variation – slice the avocado and add the slices to the filling.
- For real heat chop 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers and add them to the top of the quesadilla before serving.
- I serve this recipe with sour cream. It is a cool contrast to the rest of the ingredients and cuts the heat nicely.
- For a lower fat version, use non-fat spray to fry the tortillas or bake them in the oven at 350-375ºF until they are browned and the cheese is melted.
- This is a vegetarian recipe. Add thinly sliced cooked chicken or cooked ground beef that has been seasoned with taco seasoning for a meat version.
Make it healthier by making the quesadillas with whole wheat tortillas rather than white. The extra nutrients and fiber make a real difference to our health.
Subscribe to the site here and never miss a great recipe.
Look here for more Mexican recipes as tasty as these cheesy quesadillas.
You will find our chicken quesadilla recipe here.
If you like this recipe, I would really appreciate it if you share it on social media. Thanks.