This is one of my favorite Indian rice recipes.
If you are looking for easy vegetarian recipes or simple rice recipes with a taste of the east, this one’s for you.
It may seem like there are quite a few steps to this recipe, but nothing is difficult.
The aroma that comes from your kitchen as it is cooking is amazing, so it’s well worth the little bit of effort. And the taste is even better.
This recipe comes from Roshan who used to have a cooking site that celebrating the tasty recipes of his Indian culture.
Pearl Pulau Indian Rice
- 1 1/2 cups Basmati rice, uncooked
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
Add before baking:
- 2 tablespoons coriander, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fried onions
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 dash saffron, optional
For the Vegetable "Gravy":
- 1 cup chick peas, dried, or 1 large can chick peas, drained
- 1 pinch baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- 3 green chilies, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, (or ghee)
- salt to taste
- To prepare the rice - Soak the rice for 30 minutes. Drain. Mix the water and milk together. Add the caradamom pods, cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaf, salt and rice and cook until almost done, about 18 minutes.
- To prepare the vegetable "gravy" - Soak the chick peas overnight . The next day, boil them with enough water to cover and the baking soda until chick peas are tender. (omit this step if you use canned chick peas) Drain chick peas, canned or fresh.
- Heat the butter or ghee over medium heat. Add the ginger and garlic pastes and fry for 2-3 minutes. Make sure garlic doesn't burn. Mix the chili powder and the turmeric with a bit of water. Add to the pan and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the yogurt, tomatoes, potatoes and green chilies and stir. Add the chick peas and salt.
- Add the coriander, mint, green chilies and fried onions to the cooked rice. Put one layer of rice in a big bowl and spread a layer of chick pea gravy on top. Make alternate layers of rice and gravy in this manner. Finally, sprinkle the saffron milk on top.
- Cover and bake in a hot oven at 400°F for 20 minutes. When baked, turn upside down on to a serving dish and serve.