This seven layer salad is easy to prepare and looks beautiful, especially if you have it in a deep clear glass bowl that allows you to see all the goodies layered inside.
Whether you can see the 7 layers or not, it tastes just as good.
This easy make ahead layered salad is great to serve at a buffet or pot luck. It also makes a delicious summer salad entree.
You can make it healthier by omitting the layer of bacon or replacing it with chopped cooked chicken breast.
This is a fabulous salad recipe for entertaining. It’s great for parties, group lunches, on a buffet table or for bridal or baby showers.
Seven Layer Salad
- 2 cups mayonnaise, or Miracle Whip
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 head lettuce, shredded
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 4 eggs, hard-cooked, chopped
- 10 ounces green peas, frozen, uncooked
- 1 sweet onion, small, diced
- 8 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
- 1/2 cup black olives, or green, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 pound cheddar cheese, grated
- Combine the mayonnaise and sugar. Mix and refrigerate it until you finish making the salad.
- Layer the rest of the ingredients in a bowl. Lay a layer of lettuce on the bottom of the bowl first, then a full layer across the bowl of each of the other ingredients. Put the layers in whatever order you want, but if you have a clear sided bowl, I like to alternate colors so it looks prettier.
- Spread the mayonnaise/sugar mixture over the top of the salad like cake icing. Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over it all (or as one of the middle layers). Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight (or for 8 to 12 hours before serving).
- This salad looks beautiful served in a glass bowl so you can see the layers. Add chopped fresh parsley or cilantro on top if you want, for a great look and extra taste. Mix it all together just before serving.
- Add 2 cups cooked, diced chicken as well if you want.