Shrimp bisque is such an elegant soup that you wouldn’t think it would be so quick and easy to make.
This may not be your standard every day soup, but it is a wonderful soup to serve at a dinner party.
With 1 1/2 pounds of shrimp it is not that inexpensive to make, but for a special event, dinner party or just to treat yourself, it’s perfect.
This easy soup recipe is a lovely mix of flavors – the savory seafood, sherry, cream, a touch of butter and a little onion.
You will find a variation above to make a mixed seafood bisque, using a combination of shrimp, scallops and/or lobster. Any and all are elegant and delicious, yet simple and easy on the cook.
It is a wonderful recipe for entertaining.
Shrimp Bisque Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, cooked, deveined and with shells removed
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons onion, grated
- 3 cups milk, warm
- 1 cup cream
- salt, if needed
- 1 pinch paprika, or freshly ground white pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- 2 tablespoons parsley, or chives
- extra fresh chives or chopped parsley for garnish
- Put the shrimp through a meat grinder or blender and grind.
- Cook the butter and onion, covered, in the top of a double boiler over, not in, hot water, for 5 minutes. Add the ground shrimp and milk and cook for 2 minutes. Stir the cream in slowly. Heat, but do not boil. Add the remaining ingredients. Heat all for about 3-5 minutes without letting it come to a boil.
- Serve at once.
- Garnish with chopped fresh chives or parsley.
Tips and Variations:
- You can make this into a mixed seafood bisque by using 1/2 the amount of shrimp and 1/2 scallops. Or use a mixture of shrimp, scallops and lobster. All quite rich, elegant and yummy.
This recipe is gluten free and a great diabetic recipe. It is low carb enough to fit nicely into a diabetes diet.
If you like this recipe, please take a moment to share it on your favorite social media. Thanks a lot.