I love seafood pasta recipes.
This shrimp pasta recipe with creamy ricotta sauce and peas is an quick and easy dinner recipe, perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Ricotta has such a nice soft texture and mild taste, you may even get the picky eaters in your house to try this one.
The recipe calls for red pepper flakes to kick it up a bit but you can add more or subtract to suit your taste. The same goes for the red pepper seasoning or hot sauce. Add more if you like it spicy or leave it out entirely if you don’t like heat at all. It’s up to you.
Slicing the shrimp lengthwise stretches the seafood out a bit and allows you to get more “bites” out of your shrimp. You can certainly leave them whole if you prefer.
This pasta recipe is not only easy and quick to make, it’s also a healthy dinner recipe. The only way I could think of to make it healthier is to use whole wheat pasta, which is much more nutrient dense. You can also used gluten free pasta if you need the recipe to be gluten free.
Shrimp Pasta Recipe with Ricotta Cheese Sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 8 ounces shrimp, small, shelled, deveined and sliced lengthwise
- 10 ounces peas, frozen, thawed completely
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 - 3 dashes hot sauce
- 1/4 cup cheese, Monteray jack, shredded
- 12 ounces rotini pasta, or whatever pasta shape you prefer
- Begin to boil a pot of water to cook the pasta. Once the water boils, cook the pasta according to directions on the package.
- Sauté garlic and red pepper flakes in margarine in 10 inch non-stick skillet for 1 minute or until garlic is golden. Whisk in the milk and ricotta cheese until it is all smooth. Add the shrimp, peas, parsley, salt, nutmeg and liquid red pepper seasoning. Cook over a medium low heat for 3 - 4 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink. Stir in the cheese mixture.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it. Transfer the pasta to a large bowl and top it with the hot sauce. Toss well to coat the pasta. Serve immediately.
- Change it up by using a different pasta shape. Use penne or fusilli (as in the image above). It will taste just as good but give it a different look.
- The sauce is a gluten free recipe. If you want the whole recipe to be gluten free simply substitute the pasta for your favorite gluten free pasta.