This spice cake recipe is one of our easy cake recipes.
Just mix everything together, pour it into a long, flat baking pan and bake away.
While the cake bakes, mix the streusel topping. Pour it over the baked cake and broil for just a few minutes to cook the streusel.
This spice laden oatmeal cake is not only delicious, it’s fairly healthy too!
It starts out with oatmeal, one of our 10 healthiest foods to eat.
Add the nutritional benefits of walnuts, another food on our list of 10 healthiest and it certaily offsets the other, less than healthful, ingredients always found in cake.
This is a wonderful coffee cake type recipe.
Served for dessert or a snack, the kids will love it as much as the adults. And if they are going to enjoy cake once in a while, you might as well make it a bit healthier for them.
Oatmeal Spice Cake Recipe
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 1/2 cups boiling water
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup light cream
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped, or pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, cover rolled oats with boiling water and let stand for 1 1/2 hours or until completely cooled.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until it is creamy, then mix in the brown and granulated sugars. Beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the cooled oat mixture and mix well. Stir in the dry ingredients, about a third at a time. When finished you will have a stiff batter.
- Spread the batter in a greased and floured 13"x9" baking dish. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- For the topping, stir together the butter and cream, then blend in the coconut, brown sugar and nuts. Spread the mixture over the baked cake. Broil until the topping is bubbling, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Makes 24 servings.
- For added nutrition, crunchy texture and taste, add 1/2 cup walnuts with the dry ingredients as well.
- Add even more nutritional value by replacing half or all of the white flour with whole wheat flour. If find that for casual cakes like this spice cake, simply sifting the whole wheat flour before you using it results in a nice like cake.