Crockpot Split Pea Soup with Ham2013-07-11
Average Member Rating
(3.7 / 5)
9 people rated this recipe
- Prep Time : 0m
- Cook Time : 0m
- Ready In : 0m
This information is per serving.
This split pea soup recipe with ham is a crockpot soup recipe.
It was originally contributed by by Doug Mielke from Porter Ranch CA. He calls it his super soup.
Doug says: No salt needed – it comes with ham.
Crock Pot Split Pea Soup with Ham
- 1 - 16 ounce package dried green split peas, rinsed
- 1 ham bone - leftover from a dinner is best
- 2 cups diced ham
- 3 carrots, chopped fine
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh pepper
- Chicken stock to cover
- 1 cup cream (optional - to blend in when pureed)
Mix all ingredients except the ham and cream in a slow cooker. Press the ham bone down into the mix. Add the diced ham on top. Add the liquid to cover. DO NOT STIR.
Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours until the peas are very soft and the ham falls off bone.
Remove the diced ham with a slotted spoon. Remove the ham from the bones and removes the bone and bay leaf from the mix. Chop the remaining ham.
*Note: Non-pureed results look weird & low in pot - not to worry, fully finished the crock is full. Pureeing is optional though. The images above and below show the soup unpureed.
Puree the soup in batches and return to the crock pot. Stir in the cream & water to the desired thickness - add a lot! Return diced ham to the puree.
Serve with grilled thin baguette slices if you want.
- You can make this a vegetarian soup by using vegetable broth and leaving out the ham, but I think the ham adds a rich and needed flavor to the split pea soup.
- If you don’t have a ham bone or a piece of ham with a bone in it, simply use more chopped ham. The bone does add flavor though.
If you need diabetic recipes, eat this in moderation. The high fiber content of the split peas makes the higher carb content of the peas more tolerated by diabetics, but it still isn’t a super low carb recipe if that is what you need.
Like this recipe? I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.