This wonderful squash soup recipe is creamy and just slightly spicy.
The spice comes from chopped fresh ginger. If you love ginger, feel free to add a bit more, but be careful as it can quickly overcome the taste of the squash. If you are a bit more timid (like me) you can start out with just a bit less than the recipe calls for and add more to taste.
This recipe calls for butternut squash, but you can substitute your favorite winter squash. Pepper squash, acorn squash or hubbard would all work well. Spaghetti squash wouldn’t be the best because it does become quite “spaghetti like” when it is cooked. Also, zucchini is technically a squash, a summer squash actually, but it wouldn’t suit this recipe as well either.
Creamy Ginger Squash Soup Recipe
- 1 onion, small, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound butternut squash, cubed and seeded
- 2 to 3 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped fresh
- Pinch salt to taste
- 1 cup milk, half and half cream, or milk substitute of your choice
- In a 3 quart saucepan, cook the onions in butter for 5 minutes or until they are tender. Add the squash, broth and ginger. Cook over medium heat for 12 to 15 minutes or until the squash is very tender.
- Place the squash, broth, ginger and salt into a blender jar. Cover the jar with the lid and blend at medium high speed until the soup has reached perfect consistency. Add more broth if you want a thinner soup. Also, if you prefer, you can easily blend the soup using a hand blender.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan. Stir in the cream and gently heat the soup. Do not let it boil once the cream has been added.
Don’t add too much salt at first as the broth you are using probably contains salt. You can adjust the salt to your taste after it is cooked.
The original recipe calls for cream, but I have made it with milk and with a milk substitute and both taste fantastic. I use almond milk as a milk substitute. Feel free to use soy, hemp or any other that you prefer.
Obviously, to make this healthy soup recipe vegetarian, you would use the vegetable broth rather than the chicken broth.