If you are a lover of tuna, you will love this tuna melt recipe. It is absolutely delicious.
A tuna melt recipe is much like tuna salad, with a few extra ingredients for color and an added flavor zip.
This particular recipe adds just a bit of onion, some fresh sweet red or green pepper for crunch and color and a bit of kernel corn, again for color and crunch.
The flavor explosion continues with a bit of ready made mustard and a touch of Worcestershire sauce added to the mayonnaise.
Of course if you are a Miracle Whip user rather than a mayo user, go ahead and make the switch. Either is fine, although the taste will be slightly different.
The original recipe I was given put the tuna mixture on English muffins. You can certainly use that and it tastes wonderful, but I often use crusty bread or crusty rolls, ideally whole grain.
If you are avoiding bread, serve it on your favorite crisp bread, cracker, or on it’s own.
This is one of my favorite lunch recipes, along with a small salad, some crunchy coleslaw or simply a few veggie sticks.
Tuna Melt Recipe
- 14 ounces tuna, canned, well drained
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green pepper, or red pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, optional
- 6 slices crusty bread, or rolls, halved
- 6 tomato slices
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated or sliced
- Turn on the broiler element in your oven so it will heat up while you put together the tuna sandwich.
- Combine the tuna, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, mayonnaise, onion corn kernels and green pepper, and mix well.
- Toast the crusty bread or cut rolls lightly under the broiler. Spread the tuna mixture evenly on each of the rolls. Top with tomato slices and slices of cheese.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes to heat the tuna and melt the cheese.
- Here is an absolutely fabulous variation – Combine an extra 4 tablespoons of mayonnaise with grated mozzarella or Monterray jack cheese and spread it over the tomatoes. Broil as above.
- To up the color component and nutritional value even more, add 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley to the tuna mixture.