Twice Baked Potatoes with Cheese2013-05-23
Average Member Rating
(4.4 / 5)
7 people rated this recipe
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 5m
- Ready In : 25m
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat83
These yummy, cheesy twice baked potatoes are a cinch to make and popular with everyone.
The recipe specifies broiling the potatoes for the “twice baked” part of the recipe, but they can be cooked on the grill too.
Twice Baked Potatoes with Cheese
- 6 baked potatoes
- 3 - 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons hot milk or cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 egg whites (optional - see below)
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- chopped green onion for garnish (optional)
Bake potatoes in the oven or microwave and let cool.
On the flat top of each potato slice off a thin slice of peel and potato. Slice off most of the top peel of the potato. Scoop out most of the inside of the potatoes and place in a bowl. Leave a thin layer of potato to the shell to make sure it will hold when you put the potato back into it.
Sauté onions in butter. Add the onions, butter and cream to the potato mixture and beat until smooth. Whip the egg whites until stiff and fold into the potato mixture. Fill the potato shells. Sprinkle the top of the potato with paprika and cheese. Broil under low heat until the cheese melts.
Garnish with chopped green onion. Serve as is or with sour cream or salsa.
Tips and Variations:
- Adding the egg white is optional. The potatoes will taste amazing without the egg white, but it gives them a lighter and fluffier texture.
- If you really like cheese, grate some extra and add a bit to the potato mixture before you add it back to the skins.
- The green onions are optional. You can sprinkle the potatoes with chopped chives if you prefer or just leave them out. A few finely chopped and sautéed sweet onions would work well too. They just don’t add the color of the green onions though.
- Add color and nutrition by adding finely chopped cooked broccoli to the potato mixture.
- Add a little finely chopped and fully cooked bacon to the potatoes before baking.
- Mix up the cheeses to your liking. Stronger tasting cheeses work best for twice baked potatoes, and the cheese needs to melt well.
- You can also cook the potatoes on the barbecue. Just put them on the upper shelf and let them heat up.
Just cook the potatoes alongside anything else you are cooking.
One of the things that makes this recipe easy on the cook is that they can be made a bit ahead. Bake the potatoes ahead, even the day before if you want (although they are best the same day). Put the stuffed baked potatoes together a few hours ahead and just bake them when you are ready.
Remember though that if you are using whipped egg white, which is optional in this recipe, you must refrigerate the potatoes if you are going to leave them out for any duration, especially in warm weather. Still, it’s good to know they can be prepared ahead if need be.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below.