This Moroccan chickpea tagine is not just vegetarian. It’s a vegan recipe as well, one step further.
Don’t hesitate about the recipe if you are not into vegan or vegetarian recipes. One look at the ingredients will have you rushing to make this delicious, savory dish.
This wonderful recipe is full of flavor with a great mix of spices. It’s a bit sweet from the apricots and raisins, with a bit of a kick from the hot pepper flakes. Nice combination.
It is also an extremely healthy recipe with fresh lemon juice, sweet potatoes and healthy chick peas.
If you don’t want a vegetarian meal, use this recipe as a side dish. It would be great alongside chicken, beef or lamb.
This delightful recipe comes from a book called The Vegan Cook’s Bible. It’s a cookbook that is not just for vegans or vegetarians. If you want to add more healthy veggie recipes to your diet, you may want to have a look at it.
Vegan Recipe: Moroccan Chickpea Tagine
- 4 cups chickpeas, cooked, rinsed and drained or 2 cans with liquid
- 2 cups vegetable stock, or water, 1 1/4 cups if using canned chickpeas
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 cups sweet potato, diced, or sweet or pie pumpkin or butternut squash
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/4 cup raisins, chopped
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes, halves, thinly sliced
- 2 slices gingerroot, 1/8 inch, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- sea salt
- In the base of a tagine or Dutch oven, combine all but the last 2 ingredients. Bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 1 1/2 hours or until the sweet potato is tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Alternate Directions To Cook on Top of the Stove:
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over high heat in a Dutch oven or large saucepan. Reduce the heat to medium, add the onion and cook stirring frequently for 6-8 minutes or until soft. Add the other ingredients, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, for 45 minutes or until the sweet potato is tender.