I love this vegetable bean soup with barley and I think you will too.
Vegetarian soup recipes are perfect for vegetarians and meat eaters alike.
This is a VERY healthy soup recipe. I love soups because they can be a great way to add loads of healthy ingredients into one pot. It’s an easy way to eat a rainbow of vegetables.
Many of us who are not vegetarian like a meatless meal here and there. This is perfect for Meatless Mondays or whatever day you want to eat less meat. Of course you can also serve this vegetable bean soup as part of a meat based meal as well.
Barley & Vegetable Bean Soup
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 6 cups water
- 3 bouillon cubes, vegetable
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 14 ounces canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup quick cooking barley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package spinach, 10 ounces, fresh
- In a large saucepan with a 1/2 teaspoon of oil (or a non-stick frypan) saute the onions, carrots and celery over medium heat for about 8 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add in the water, bouillon, tomatoes, beans, barley, garlic powder and pepper. Bring the mixture to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add spinach, cover and simmer for 1 or 2 minutes more or until the vegetables are tender.
- Use freshly made vegetable stock if you have it. You will need 6 cups.
- You can also use frozen spinach. Thaw it first then add it when the fresh spinach is called for.
- Replace the kidney beans with black beans or another favorite bean. You can also use mixed beans.
- If you use regular barley, just cook the soup longer until the barley is tender.
Note to Diabetics:
I have marked this recipe as suitable for diabetics because barley is quite low on the glycemic index. That means it won’t spike your blood sugar like other grains will. The beans are higher on the glycemic index, but unless your blood sugar is not well controlled, most diabetics can eat this soup. Obviously though always check with your own health care provider if you are not sure of what you should and shouldn’t eat.
This easy soup recipe is ready in 30 minutes so it makes a great weeknight meal with a salad. You can also make it the night ahead and just reheat it the next day for a quick meal. I love having homemade vegetarian soup recipes ready in the refrigerator for an easy, quick, delicious and healthy meal.