This watermelon salsa was originally contributed by frequent contributor Farhad (iranchef).
It’s a fruit salsa recipe with a nice mix of sweet and spicy from the jalapeño peppers. I think it is a Mexican condiment you will find yourself making over and over, especially on hot summer days.
Serving tips from the contributor:
Serve with corn or potato chips or serve on sliced oranges or cheese-filled manicotti.
I would think it would be delicious on grilled chicken too.
- 3 cups watermelon, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons jalapeño peppers, chopped (2 - 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup green peppers
- 1 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
- Combine all ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
Makes 3 cups
This is a fairly good diabetic recipe. Watermelon is high on the glycemic index and so not the best for diabetics to eat a lot of, but you won’t be eating a lot of salsa at a sitting, so it should be fine. It is also gluten free.