The Best Apple Pie Recipe2013-04-22
Average Member Rating
(3.7 / 5)
18 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 1 - 9" pie
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 50m
- Ready In : 1:20 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat126
Mouth watering warm apple pie is a cinch with the best apple pie recipe.
This is my favorite recipe for apple pie and it isn’t fancy. Just plain apple goodness in a tasty crust.
Use your favorite cooking apple. MacIntosh apples are plentiful in the fall in my area and that’s my preferred pie baking apple. I like that the apples lose their shape a bit and get very soft and juicy.
- 1 double pie crust recipe (you will find 2 recipes here)
- 5 to 6 cups apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar (to your taste and depends on the sweetness of the apples)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- dash salt
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
Lay 1/2 the pastry, rolled out to about 1/8" thickness, in the bottom of the pie pan and press it in gently to lay flat in the pan. Leave the excess crust hanging over the edges for now.
Place peeled, sliced apples in a bowl. Mix together the sugar, flour, salt and cinnamon. Pour over sliced apples and mix. Fill the pie pan with the apples and pat down with a spoon. Dot the filling with pieces of butter.
Moisten the lip of the pie pan with water. Place the top layer of rolled out crust over the filling, making sure crust reaches outer edges of the pie pan all around. Seal the edge and flute all around (see notes below for how to flute a pie edge).
Take a fork and prick the pie top in several places to create vents for steam to escape. Bake for 50 minutes, until pastry is golden and the filling is bubbling through the vents.
Let cool a bit before cutting to allow the filling to settle.
Makes 1 – 9″ pie.
Tips and Variations:
- Please Note: The apples shown in the image of the apple pie above are Delicious apples, which are NOT good cooking apples. Please don’t try them in this pie recipe. You will be very disappointed.
- If you think the best apple pie recipe just has to have nutmeg, replace 1/2 the cinnamon (or all of it) with nutmeg.
- To flute the edge of your pie: Place 2 fingers on the top edge of the pie dough with room between them. Place a finger from your other hand in this space and push. This makes the dough in between your fingers push up and create a fluted effect when repeated all around the pie and helps seal the pie edge.
- Some people add a bit of lemon juice to the apple filling if the apples are quite sweet.
- If you find the crust getting too dark, cover the edges of the pie with strips of aluminum foil. Watch your fingers!
Did You Know?…
I also love using Cortland and Spy apples. Traditional wisdom in my area says spy apples make the best apple pie recipe.
I like an apple pie made of apples that get very soft and lose their shape a bit. You may prefer an apple that holds its shape more and stays firmer when cooked. Choose your favorite.
In the Big Apple Pie Debate are you a cinnamon person or a nutmeg person?
I am a cinnamon person myself and have used just cinnamon in this recipe.
Because I know there are a lot of nutmeg lovers out there, I have adjusted the recipe to use either a mix of cinnamon and nutmeg or just nutmeg, for the real nutmeg fans.
Either way, there really is nothing quite like warm apple pie, fresh out of the oven is there?
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below. Thanks.
Look below for visitors comments and their own variations on apple pie.