Best Scalloped Potatoes Recipe2013-04-23
Average Member Rating
(2.4 / 5)
147 people rated this recipe
- Yield : 1 - 2 quart casserole
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 60m
- Ready In : 1:15 h
This information is per serving.
Calories from Fat90
I think these are the best scalloped potatoes I have made.
It is so easy to make the simple sauce. This recipe is so much better than when I used to just layer the flour, milk and butter and see it bubble up and boil over!
The best tip ever? Top the potatoes with crumbled bacon before baking!
Scalloped Potatoes (with Optional Bacon and Cheese Topping)
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 375ºF.
Heat 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan over low heat until melted. Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk, 1/2 cup at a time. Heat to boiling. Boil and stir 1 minute.
Arrange potatoes in greased 2 quart casserole in 3 layers, topping each layer with part of the chopped onions and 1/3 of the sauce. Dot the top with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter, broken into little pieces.
Cover and bake at 375ºF until potatoes are tender, about 60-70 minutes. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- Add 6 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon to the top of the scalloped potato recipe. Bake until about 15 minutes away from being perfectly cooked. Then top the casserole with 3/4 cup of grated cheddar cheese too if you like. Then bake for a final 15 minutes.
- Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese to the sauce and mix to melt. Sprinkle bread crumbs on the top if the potato mixture before baking and bake as above. Easy au gratin potatoes!
- See all the comments about this recipe below.
Did You Know?…
This scalloped potato recipe goes with so much, from ham, to meat loaf to just about anything you want to pair it with.
Everyone I have made it for loves it.
If you like this recipe, I’d love you to Pin it to Pinterest, Tweet about it, Like it on Facebook and leave a comment below. Thanks.